Some properties have criteria regarding local connection What is a local connection?

If you’re interested in one of our Shared Ownership properties in a rural area, it is likely that you’ll need to prove a local connection to the area in which the homes are built, or the surrounding areas.

What counts as a local connection?

The following situations may give you a local connection.

Living in an area

You have a local connection if you've lived in a council/parish council area for at least:

  • 6 out of the last 12 months
  • 3 out of the last 5 years

Staying in emergency housing or a refuge counts. Time spent in prison or hospital doesn't count.

Working in an area

You have a local connection if you're working or self-employed in a council/parish council area.

Close family in the area

You have a local connection if any of the following family members have lived in a council area for at least 5 years:

  • parents
  • adult children
  • brothers and sisters

The council might accept a local connection based on other family members. For example, if you were brought up by another relative and remain in close contact

Can I get some help?

Yes, simply complete the form below and we'll do our best to answer any questions you have.

Send us a message

You can include a phone number if you would like us to call you.
Please authenticate that this enquiry is a valid one by ticking the box below.