1) Make sure you are registered to vote
If you have registered to vote, then you should already be on the electoral roll at your current address. The electoral roll is used by all mortgage lenders to check you are who you say you are so they can ensure someone else isn’t using your identity fraudulently to make credit applications in your name. If you're not registered on the electoral roll, you can register to vote online.
2) Register your rent payments
There is a way to enhance your credit report by registering your current monthly rent payments. To make this happen a company called Credit Ladder can share your rental payments to a credit reference agency.
Sharing your rental payment history will help mortgage lenders quickly check your identity online and will enhance your credit history. You should then ensure you always make an on-time rent payment. This may make it easier for you to be approved for mortgage finance.
Credit Ladder offers a free service:
- 3) Check your credit file
4) Get your paperwork in order
This applies to cash buyers and customers requiring a mortgage.
Your broker will request documents from you to prove incomings and outgoings. They may require:
• Your last three months' bank statements
• Your last three months' pay slips
• Proof of bonuses/commission
• Your latest P60 tax form (showing income and tax paid from each tax year)
• Your last three years' accounts or tax returns (if self-employed)
• Proof of deposits (e.g., savings account statements)
• ID documents (usually a passport)
• Proof of address (e.g., utility bills or credit card bills)
• A gift letter. If you're getting deposit help, the lender needs to know it is a gift (not a loan), and that the giver won't part own the home. They'll also ask for a copy of the bank or savings statement to prove the source of the funds.
5) Regular payments to gambling websites
Unfortunately, we have seen lenders reject customers' for having regular items on their bank statements such as payments to Ladbrokes, William Hill, etc. or even bingo websites. If these types of payments are on your bank statements, make sure you tell your mortgage broker so an explanation can accompany the statements.
6) Using payday loan companies
Using these type of lenders is never a good idea - their high rates of interest can cause payment problems. A payday loan could also harm your chances of mortgage success. Some mortgage lenders have changed their criteria to bar those who have taken out a short-term loan in the past 12 months. Speak to a mortgage broker if this affects you.
7) Choosing a solicitor
In order to a reserve a new home, you will need tell us which solicitor you intend to use. You can find a selection of expert solicitors here.