What is the service charge for? Shared Ownership service charges

The service charge you pay covers your Buildings Insurance premium and those areas not owned by you or the council such as communal hallways or communal gardens. 

If you own a house (including even when you just own a Share Percentage), you are responsible for all repairs and maintenance to the inside and outside of your home.

If you own an apartment, you are responsible for maintaining the inside. We’ll take care of day-to-day repairs, maintenance and decoration to the outside of the apartments and any shared areas. This is paid for through your service charge which can include: 

  • Cost of repairing and replacing communal lighting
  • Cost of general repairs to communal areas
  • Cleaning communal areas
  • Maintenance and repair of communal door entry systems
  • Gardening and grounds maintenance of communal areas
  • Lift maintenances, servicing and repair including the emergency telephone
  • Management charge and audit fees
  • Buildings insurance
  • Reserve fund for decorations and/or major works.

If you're an apartment homeowner and have spotted something that needs fixing, please contact the Homeowners team.

If you're unhappy or have any questions about your service charge, please contact The Guinness Partnership.

The Leasehold Advisory Service offers independent, free advice to leaseholders and shared owners. You can call them on 020 7832 2500 or visit www.lease-advice.org.

Discover more about Shared Ownership