Skip to main content

Selling your home

Selling your Shared Ownership home

If you want to sell your Shared Ownership home, you need to let us know first. 

Most of our leases give us nomination rights for your property. This means that for eight weeks we advertise your home to people on our waiting lists and on this website. 

If we don’t find a buyer during this period, you can sell your home through an estate agent. If you bought your home under an affordable home ownership scheme, the new buyer would have to meet the requirements for this.

  • Finding a buyer

    Finding a buyer

    When you sell your Shared Ownership home, you give us the chance to nominate a buyer. We hold a database of people who have applied to us, and we will do our best to find a buyer quickly.

    If we can’t you’re free to sell your home on the open market depending on what your lease says– usually, two months after we have received your request to sell.

    When you sell your home, you must get it valued. The price of your share will be a percentage of the full market value. Your valuation must be completed by a valuer that meets our requirements.

  • Step 1 - Get an idea how much your home is worth

    Get an idea of your house value by visiting a valuation site like Zoopla. With Zoopla, you can get an indication of the value of your home.

    Follow the link below to discover what your home may be worth on the Zoopla website.

    Check Zoopla

  • Step 2 - Choose one of our options for selling your home

    To sell your Shared Ownership home, you need to get the home formally valued and have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) carried out.

    The price of your share will be a percentage of the full market value. For example, if you own a 50% share and the full value of your home is £200,000, the sale price will be £100,000.

    Option 1 (recommended option)

    You can ask us to instruct one of our panel Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). Just click the "Apply Now" button below.

    Option 2

    You can choose your own RICS surveyor and send us the report by clicking the "Apply Now" button below.

    Option 3

    Use a company called Move with Us to undertake a market appraisal and valuation. We'll instruct them for you just click the "Apply now" button below.

    Ready to go ahead?

    Apply now

    Important information

    Energy Performance Certificates

    If you choose option 1 or 2, we'll ask you to provide photographs of your home for use on our website and an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). 

    If you do not have an Energy Performance Certificate you can contact Nationwide EPC to carry out an energy assessment or ask your RICS surveyor also to complete an assessment  

    Your property may already have a valid EPC, you can use the national register of EPCs to check.


    Depending on whether you sell your current share or a larger share (up to 100%) the requirements for the valuation will vary:

    • If you are selling your share, your valuation should be valid at the point of sale. You are not required to maintain the valuation report past this point, but you may choose to. The valuation can be carried out by an independent RICS accredited surveyor or by Move With Us.

    • If you are selling a larger share than you own or completing a 100% staircase and onward sale transaction, you will need to have a valid valuation report at the point of sale and ensure that this is maintained through to legal completion. Your valuation report will need to be RICS accredited; you won’t be able to use one carried out by Move With US, an estate agent or a lender. Move With Us also provide a RICS service at an additional charge.

  • Step 3 - Putting your home on the market

    Advertising your home & viewings

    When we’ve received your instruction, your property will be uploaded onto this website. We may also advertise your property on our Facebook and Twitter pages.

    Please feel free to share the link on your own social media accounts as you wish.

    Viewings are arranged directly between you and any interested buyers who complete an enquiry form on your property listing.

    When a buyer submits an enquiry form on your property listing, this will come to you by email so that you can arrange a viewing with them directly.

    After your viewings

    Customers will be able to submit an application form following their viewing. Please note we also require certain documents to be able to process their application. We will provide a list of necessary documents to your applicants.

    To ensure that we are offering your property on the priority basis as specified by Homes England, we will not process any applications until your property has been advertised for at least ten working days.

    We’ll then offer your home to the customer with the highest priority. If they no longer wish to buy your home, we will continue to offer it to customers in order of their priority.

    Financial assessment

    To approve a buyer we will carry out a financial assessment to check that the home is affordable for your nominated buyer.

    We’ll then instruct your solicitor, the buyers’ solicitor and our solicitor to begin the process of selling your home.

    The sales process

    Once we’ve instructed solicitors, you and your buyer should liaise with your solicitors to progress the sale. We’ll be on hand to offer advice along the way, but most of the negotiations will be done between your respective solicitors.

    Your solicitor will be able to let you know once all the conveyancing has been completed and you are ready to exchange. Completion of the sale usually takes place five to ten working days after the exchange.

  • How much it costs

    You will need to pay for:

    • A valuation report written a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors member

    • Your solicitors fees

    • Our solicitor’s fees - £390 including VAT

    • The resale fee mentioned in your lease. (If there is no mention of a fee in your lease we will charge £1200 including VAT if your home sells within the nomination period or £540 including VAT if your home sells after the nomination period.)

  • Our panel of RICS surveyors

    We have a panel of surveyors who understand our requirements for your valuation report.  Alternatively, you can choose your own surveyor near you by searching the RICS website.

    There is a fee for a valuation report which you will need to pay directly to the company you choose.

    If using one of our panel members remember to inform them that you are living in a Guinness property so they can confirm any preferential rates that they offer our customers'.

    Our panel of RICS surveyors

    Company name: McDowalls
    Areas covered: London, Essex, Kent, Hertfordshire, Milton Keynes and Portsmouth
    Contact details: 020 8472 4422 /

    Company name: Bolton Marshall
    Areas covered: Lancashire and Greater Manchester
    Contact details: 01706 638341 /

    Company name: Crapper & Haigh
    Areas covered: Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire
    Contact details: 0114 272 9944 /

    Company name: Better Prepared
    Areas covered: Milton Keynes & surrounding areas
    Contact details: 08456 443970 /

    Company name: Berry Brothers
    Areas covered: Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire and Warwickshire
    Contact details: 01327 356140 / and

    Using your own RICS Surveyor

    You can also search the national register to find a RICS qualified surveyor.

    Information about using a RICS Surveyor

    • The surveyor needs to be independent and cannot be associated with any estate agents.

    • The surveyor must not be related to you.

    • The surveyor must not be employed by any bank/building society.

    • The surveyor must be registered with a recognised qualification of FRICS, MRICS or RICS.

    • We will require a copy of the valuation report; this should be valid for three months. (and should be valid until completion takes place).

    • The report must include at least three comparable properties used to determine the value.

    • The report must also state that we can use the contents of the valuation report.

    • The surveyor will need to be informed of the remaining length of your lease and take this into consideration when valuing the property. The report should be annotated as such, to reflect this.

    • On receipt of your own independent valuation report, please arrange for a copy to be sent to us.

    • The report should be signed by your surveyor.

    Ready to go ahead?

    Once you've received the RICS Survey report and Energy Performance Certificate just click the button below to complete our online form.

    Apply now

  • Taking great property photos

    When buyers are looking at properties online, they make their minds up in seconds. That’s why having the very best photographs of your home is so important. Get the photos right, and it could mean a quicker sale.

    Please provide us with a photo of the front and rear aspect of your property, and outside space, and one of each room.

    You MUST ensure your photographs are in LANDSCAPE rather than PORTRAIT.

    Some tips on making your property look its best in the photos you take.

    Get the outside photo right

    • Always provide a photo showing the outside of your property

    • Choose the time of day when the front of the house is shown in a good natural light Try to choose a clear, bright day

    • Move any vehicles from the outside of the property

    • Remove any clutter from outside the property such as bins and hoses

    • Mow the lawn

    • Clean the windows

    Set the scene inside

    • Moving furniture around may help to make a room look more spacious

    • Make sure your home is well lit, and replace any light bulbs that have gone out

    • Open all curtains and blinds

    • Fresh flowers help to breathe life into a property

    Ensure the kitchen looks great

    • Clear all worktops and make sure there are no tea towels or chopping boards on show

    • Move bins out of sight

    • Clear away appliances

    • Close all cupboards

    • Hide all fridge magnets

    • Clear the sink (no dirty dishes!)

    • If you have pets, hide their food bowls and beds

    • A full, fresh fruit bowl can add a flash of colour

    Your other rooms

    • Remove scruffy throws from sofas

    • Arrange cushions to look smart and tidy

    • Set dining room tables

    • Remove rugs, especially where you have wooden or tiled floors

    • Any children’s toys or piles of magazines, DVDs etc. should be out of sight

    Make your bedrooms look their best

    • Make the bed and choose bedclothes that complement the room

    • Anything stored under the bed should be completely out of sight

    • All drawers and wardrobe doors should be shut

    Your bathroom

    • Keep the toilet lid down

    • Remove clutter like shower gels and toothbrushes

    • Close the shower curtain

    • Remove toilet paper from its holder

    • Any towels should be neatly arranged and folded and chosen to compliment the room

Frequently asked questions

If you need help - check out our frequently asked questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

Connect with us