Selling a shared ownership home

What is involved in selling a shared ownership home?

  • You contact a RICS surveyor to visit your home and write a report on its value.
  • When you’ve received the RICS survey report, you complete the application form below, agreeing to pay the costs associated with selling your home.
  • We instruct a company to arrange a visit to your home for professional photography to show your home at its best.
  • When we’ve received the photographs, we’ll arrange for the property to be listed on websites such as Rightmove, Zoopla and the Guinness Homes website.
  • Any interested buyers will contact you to arrange a viewing of your home – completing the application form gives an agreement that your contact email will be shared with prospective buyers when they enquire.
  • Should a buyer decide to purchase your home, we’ll ask them to complete an application form to ensure they are eligible for Shared Ownership.
  • Note: It is important to check the number of unexpired years on your lease, as this can impact your buyer’s ability to get a mortgage. View more information on leases.
  • Mortgage lenders are now requesting a completed EWS1 form for flats in most buildings. This is not something we can provide at present. The National Housing Federation has provided further information on this issue on their website.

Follow these steps for a smooth shared ownership sale:

Understand the process

When you sell your Shared Ownership home, you give us the chance to nominate a buyer. We hold a database of people who have applied to us, and we will do our best to find a buyer quickly.

If we can’t, you’re free to sell your home on the open market depending on what your lease says– usually, two months after we have received your request to sell.

When you sell your home, you must get it valued. The price of your share will be a percentage of the full market value. A valuer that meets our requirements must complete your valuation.

Research your homes value

Get an idea of your house value by visiting a valuation site like Zoopla. With Zoopla, you can get a sign of the value of your home.

Follow the link below to discover what your home may be worth on the Zoopla website.

Check Here

Arrange a RICS survey

When you’ve decided you want to sell your home, the first step is to arrange a formal RICS survey. This is a requirement of your lease.

We have a panel of surveyors who understand our requirements for your valuation report. Alternatively, you can choose your own surveyor near you by searching the RICS website.

There is a fee for a valuation report which you will need to pay directly to the company you choose.

If using one of our panel members, remember to inform them you are selling your home with Guinness so they can confirm any preferential rates that they offer our customers’.

Understand the costs

We utilise a company called 99 Home Ltd to arrange for photography of your home and to advertise your home on Rightmove and Zoopla.  Guinness will pay the cost of this directly to 99 Home Ltd.

What you’ll need to pay for:

  • A valuation survey report that was written by a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors member – see step 3
  • Energy Performance Certificate – approx £45
  • Our solicitor’s fees – £390
  • The resale fee mentioned in your lease. (If there is no mention of a fee in your lease, we will charge £1,200 if your home sells within the nomination period, or £540 if your home sells after the nomination period).
  • Your solicitor’s fees

Get a formal valuation

To sell your Shared Ownership home, you need to get the home formally valued and have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) carried out – see Step 3.

The price of your share will be a percentage of the full market value. For example, if you own a 50% share and the full value of your home is £200,000, the sale price will be £100,000.

Prepare to sell your home

Just check you have the following items saved on your computer or device ready to upload as part of the application form.

  • Copy of your EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)
  • Copy of your RICS survey report
  • Copy of your passport or driving licence (for both if appropriate)
  • Copy of a proof of address (such as a utility bill, council tax bill)

Ready to sell?


Below you will find other information about selling your Guinness home.

What happens when I’ve completed the form?

We’ll get everything ready like checking your lease and asking our photography company 99 Home Ltd to call you.  They’ll arrange an appointment with you to take photographs and draw a floorplan of your home.

How are viewings arranged?

Viewings are arranged directly between you and any interested buyers who complete an enquiry form on your property listing.

When a buyer submits an enquiry form on your property listing, this will come to you by email so that you can arrange a viewing with them directly.

What happens when a buyer has viewed my home?

Ask your buyer to submit an application form following their viewing. We’ll ask a mortgage broker to check they can afford the monthly repayments. When they’ve been approved we’ll write to you by email.

What happens when my buyer has been approved?

We will instruct both sets of solicitors, you and your buyer should liaise with your solicitors to progress the sale. We’ll be on hand to offer advice along the way, but most of the negotiations will be done between your respective solicitors.

Your solicitor will be able to let you know once all the conveyancing has been completed.

How much will it cost?

What Guinness pay for

We utilise a company called 99 Home Ltd to arrange for photography of your home and to advertise your home on Rightmove and Zoopla. Guinness will pay the cost of this directly to 99 Home Ltd.

What you’ll need to pay for

  • A valuation survey report written a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors member
  • Energy Performance Certificate – approx £45
  • Our solicitors fees – £390
  • The resale fee mentioned in your lease. (If there is no mention of a fee in your lease we will charge £1,200 if your home sells within the nomination period or £540 if your home sells after the nomination period.)
  • Your solicitors fees
How long will it take to sell my home?

The average time it takes to sell a home in the UK is twelve weeks.

However, this can all depend on many factors, such as any legal, survey or communication problems. So you should always be prepared for delays to occur.

What is a nomination period?

Most Shared Ownership leases give us a period in which to find a buyer for the property. Our standard nomination period is eight weeks.

Depending on what your lease says, this is the length of time you are required to allow us to offer your home to our waiting list of buyers.

The nomination period starts from when we receive a fully completed instruction to sell your home.
If your lease doesn’t require you to do this, you can usually sell your home on the open market straight away.

If at any time the information provided is found to be incorrect, the expired nomination period will be considered invalid and will start again when correct information has been submitted.

Any efforts to frustrate the sales process, such as not allowing viewing of your home, will also render the nomination period invalid.

Why can’t I just sell on the open market or to my friend?

We used public money to help fund your home, and we need to ensure this is protected to help others in the future. One of the conditions attached to this funding was that the home would be offered in the future to another eligible person.

Just as you benefited, we continue to have a duty to help others find a home.

We have a database of people waiting for Shared Ownership homes, and if you decide to sell your Shared Ownership home, it is a condition of your lease that you give us the opportunity to find a buyer.

If we can’t find a buyer, we can give you permission to sell on the open market through an estate agent. We will provide you with advice if this happens. We want to be reasonable, if we can’t find a buyer, we’ll let you know as soon as we can. You can then choose to sell your share through an estate agent, or you may be able to sell 100% of your property. It depends on your lease restrictions.

How long does it take to market my property?

We will market your property on our website and to our waiting list of buyers within five working days of receipt of your instruction to sell and photos from 99 Home.

Is there a waiting list of buyers?

We do maintain a waiting list of people looking for Shared Ownership homes. Different buyers will have different requirements of course, but we will contact any who have expressed an interest in properties that match the description of yours.

New customers can join our waiting list at any time, and these will also be provided with information about your property if it meets their requirements.

What happens if my valuation expires?

You must ensure your valuation report is valid for three months.

After this, you can get an updated report if you need to, but the Valuer can charge you a fee for this.

You might want to ask them about these fees when you initially instruct them as sometimes sales can take longer than three months.

If you already have a buyer interested, you may decide to carry on with the existing value, but they may pull out if you get another valuation and the price changes.

When can we advertise our property on the open market?

You can advertise your property independently if we are unable to nominate a buyer within the nomination period.

This would mean that you would still be offering your property on Shared Ownership terms, so any buyer would still have to be approved by us and meet the Shared Ownership requirements.

We charge a separate fee for this, which you would be responsible for paying.

It is important to note that, if we are unable to nominate a buyer and you do attempt to sell on the open market, this is subject to a 12-month limit. So if you fail to sell during that time, we will require the nomination opportunity again after 12 months.

Can Guinness continue to market my home outside the nomination period?

Yes, we can. If you wish, we can continue to offer your home to our waiting list of Shared Ownership buyers while you also try and sell on the open market. If we’re able to find a buyer in that time, the same fee will be payable as if we had done so during the nomination period.

How long does it take between exchange of contacts and actual completion of the sale?

We require 10 full working days in-between exchange of contracts and completion of the sale to process all memorandums and issue notices.

What if there are Staircasing restrictions in my lease?

On some homes, you can never own 100% so you won’t have the option of Staircasing to 100% and selling on the open market. This only applies to a small number of homes. Your solicitor should have told you about this at the time you bought your home.

What will happen with the keys to my home?

When you have sold your home, make sure you have a firm arrangement with the buyer about where they can collect your keys – you should only hand these over when your solicitors get the money for your home. It’s a good idea to leave the keys with your solicitor or a trusted friend or relative. We cannot look after or pass on your keys for you.

Can I buy another Shared Ownership Guinness property before I sell my current one?

Yes, as soon as you’ve got a buyer for your home you can make an application to purchase a new home.

How do I get a copy of my lease?

You should have been provided with a copy from your solicitor when you purchased your property. Alternatively, you can get a copy from your mortgage lender or from the UK Land Registry website.

What percentage share do I currently own?

Your lease will state what shares were initially purchased when it was granted. If you have bought any additional shares since then, your solicitor should have registered these with the Land Registry. So you can check there or speak to your solicitor.

Why do I have to pay Guinness a fee for selling my home?

This is to cover our overheads incurred in managing the whole resale process, operating and maintaining a computerised database, approval of mortgage offers and checking eligibility. Overall, this fee makes sure that we can continue helping other people onto the property ladder.

I’m not happy with my sale price, can I have my property revalued?

If you’re not happy with the valuation you receive, you will need to discuss it with your Valuer. We will only accept the Valuer’s decision, however.

What happens if I try and sell my home on the open market without informing Guinness?

In most cases, we will just refuse to approve the buyer. This will result in your sale falling through and everyone losing any fees they have already paid. You are responsible for understanding the terms of your lease, so it is vital that you follow this.

In rare circumstances, we may permit the sale to proceed. However, due to the fact you have breached your lease, you will be required to pay a charge of £3,000 or 1.5%, whichever is the higher, of the sale price for 100% of the equity.